Re: stability of toc links

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: stability of toc links
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 19:20:16 +0700

On 30/04/2021 13:24, Timothy wrote:
Dominique Dumont <dominique.dumont@netc.fr> writes:

For what it's worth, DNS servers faces a similar problem where host names can
contain any unicode character, but DNS servers support only ascii char. In DNS
cases, this is worked around using punycode. (1)

Using the example above, a host named "こんにちは.example" is converted to
"xn--28j2a3ar1p.example".

Punycode is available in Emacs through libidn (2)

Thanks! I'm now making use of it as of
https://github.com/tecosaur/emacs-config/commit/1ccbadd

Personally, I do not see any point in using of punycode. The result is not human readable.

I was not sure that url-hexify-string is a reliable solution, but surprisingly it is used by wikipedia now
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs#%D0%98%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%8F[8][9]
Could you, please, provide some details concerning problem you have noticed?

Earlier wikipedia was used another approach:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%98%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD_%D0%A4%D1%91%D0%B4%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2#.D0.91.D0.B8.D0.BE.D0.B3.D1.80.D0.B0.D1.84.D0.B8.D1.8F
(random URL found in browser history).

Both pure (percent) encode or encode followed by s/%/./g produce unreadable result.

I would like to see something like
https://support.mozilla.org/ru/kb/zaprosy-na-razresheniya-dlya-rasshirenij-firefox
I was never interested in this topic enough to check if other implementations, e.g. wordpress (or some plugin) use the same technique as python's unidecode or something else. Certainly, unidecode should not be hard dependency, but if installed it could be used instead of less intelligent default method.