Re: org-attach-attach in an org-capture template?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-attach-attach in an org-capture template?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:12:17 +0800

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> I also believe I could do this with one of the org-capture hooks but
> examining them I didn't see the obvious right one to add my function to. I
> would think it would be the org-capture-prepare-finalize-hook and I may
> just give that a try.

Capture hooks should be the right place to do what your want. I
recommend org-capture-before-finalize-hook since it will not run if you
abort the capture for any reason. Otherwise, you may attach the file,
abort capture (via C-c C-k or because of some error), and your attached
file will hang somewhere unreferenced. Your first idea with
%()-expansion have the same problem.

> ... I further assume then that I'd need to to apply the
> advice here
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/9n3vxn/in_org_mode_how_can_i_make_a_postcapture_hook_run/>
> and
> check for what template I'm in with (plist-get org-capture-plist :key) or
> similar.

I recommend using doct [1] with :before-finalize keyword. It will take
care that your function runs for the right template.

[1] https://github.com/progfolio/doct#hooks

> So my question is whether there's anything I can do to get org-attach-attach
> recognize the file it's in. I'm assuming that when it's expanding it's in a
> temporary buffer of some kind which is why it's failing.

You are right, template expansion is done in separate "*Capture*" buffer
using org-capture-fill-template. The buffer is not associated with any
file.

Best,
Ihor