Re: stability of toc links

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: stability of toc links
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 16:09:14 +0200

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> I don't think such a system would preserve properties offered by
>> `org-export-get-reference', for example in non-latin languages. Also,
>> header content is not stable enough: when you're linking to the custom
>> ID, you may be able to change the title and yet preserve the link.
>>
>> However, your proposal may be an improvement over
>> `org-export-get-reference' in the context of "ox-html.el", that I don't
>> know. That's the second way I wrote about.
>
> My proposal basically replaces the random hex generating function in
> `org-export-get-reference' with a call to a function
> `org-reference-contraction' which takes a header and outputs a string
> like "some-header-string" and then has digits appended should it be
> non-unique (i.e. "some-header-string-2", "some-header-string-3").
> For certain recognised blocks (e.g. src and example blocks) it appends
> ",{block}--{n}", for example: "some-header-string,code--1".
>
> I consider this to be quite a nice improvement.

This is mostly what Texinfo exporter does, too. So it must be suitable
in some contexts, indeed.

However, I wouldn't consider it as an improvement over generic
`org-export-get-reference'. I pointed out some concerns I have about the
robustness of this system already. I don't think you answered to any of
them. I fear we may be communicating past each other in this thread.

Regards,