Re: [POLL] Setting `org-adapt-indentation' to nil by default?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [POLL] Setting `org-adapt-indentation' to nil by default?
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 23:21:06 +0300

* Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> [2021-05-02 11:57]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> >> Indentation is quite sensitive: what do you think of setting a new
> >> default value of nil for `org-adapt-indentation' in Org 9.5?
> >
> > Yes, it should be nil just as it was in beginning.
>
> I think `org-adapt-indentation' has always been `t' by default.
>
> > But there is one problem that I encountered since that was introduced,
> > namely I do like properties being indented under the first letter of
> > heading or on 3rd place.
> >
> > Like this below, however, C-c C-x p will create properties indented
> > only if org-adapt-indentation is t
> >
> > * Heading
> >   :PROPERTIES:
> >   :ARCHIVE:  new
> >   :END:
> >
> > But if org-adapt-indentation is nil, it will be like:
> >
> > * Heading
> > :PROPERTIES:
> > :ARCHIVE:  new
> > :END:
>
> I suggest (setq org-adapt-indentation 'headline-data).

That achieves opposite effect, but if nobody else complains, I will
not mind it.

IMHO, when there shall be option like:

(setq org-adapt-indentation 'properties-only)

where only properties would be indented. It is not same as what
headline-data does.

As if text begins on beginning of the line, there is visual
distinction together with the colon that properties are there.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/
https://rms-support-letter.github.io/