Re: [POLL] Setting `org-adapt-indentation' to nil by default?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: [POLL] Setting `org-adapt-indentation' to nil by default?
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 12:11:58 +0200

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>
>> Various discussions convinced me that `org-adapt-indentation' should
>> be nil by default.
>>
>> With `electric-indent-mode' being activated by default in Emacs, the
>> current behavior is that RET after a headline moves the point below
>> the beginning of this headline, not the beginning of the line, which
>> might surprise users.
>>
>> Indentation is quite sensitive: what do you think of setting a new
>> default value of nil for `org-adapt-indentation' in Org 9.5?
>
> +1 from me as well.  I personally quite dislike indenting after headings
> with spaces, and instead use (add-hook 'org-mode-hook #'org-indent-mode)
> for the visual indentation effect, which I can easily toggle off when
> needed.

What’s important for me is that hitting enter on a headline does not
create indentation for the text.

I’ve been removing indentation manually ever since that change, and I
cannot just configure it out, because I often open org-files with emacs
-Q or on different systems. Therefore this default matters a lot for me.
With the current default I would have to change the default in every
emacs session on every docker or VM, and I would have to tell every new
org-user to start by changing the default just to be able to write
conveniently.

I made a point of slimming down my Emacs config, because I often sit at
a pristine emacs, and it is important for me that org-mode just works.
Before electric-indent-mode got enabled, it was one of the huge
strengths of org-mode that it just worked for most use-cases while
enabling everyone to customize it incrementally. And I vote to get that
back.

Best wishes,
Arne
--