Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 12:19:56 +0200

Victor A. Stoichita <victor@svictor.net> writes:

> Le 03 May 2021, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> a écrit :
>> I suggest a criterium for keeping ob*.el files in Org could be that
>> the extension is known by Emacs _or_ that the supported language is
>> well-established.
>
> I happen to be an active user of ob-lilypond. Lilypond is certainly
> peripheral to the world of programming languages. It is well established
> and active as an equivalent of LaTeX for music though ([1][2][3]).
> It comes with built-in support for Emacs [4].

Lilypond is not just well-established, it is the dominant tool for note
engraving. One of the few domains in which no proprietary comes close in
terms of quality.

I typically use it directly, but if the maintenance burden is
manageable, I could offer maintenance here, too (once I have the papers
in place).

Having support in core directly helps a lot when using the tool, because
that enables working zero-setup org-files (with some load-language in an
elisp block).

Best wishes,
Arne
--