Re: About multilingual documents

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: About multilingual documents
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 00:09:47 +0700

On 04/05/2021 14:30, Aleksandar Dimitrov wrote:

I don't usually switch input methods. Instead I rely on the X-Server's
facilities, including group toggles and XCompose. For example I use
XCompose to write all languages with a Latin alphabet without having to
switch layouts/input methods.

You mentioned Cyrillic, and it is inconvenient to switch keyboard layout (Xkb group) for any command (C-c ...). Unfortunately keymaps in emacs are unaware of keysyms from "base" group when another group is active. On the other hand, emacs input method requires special tricks to keep emacs window (almost) always with latin keyboard layout while other applications rely on xkb.