Re: Question about citation processors [wip-cite branch]

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Question about citation processors [wip-cite branch]
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 21:17:22 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

On Tue, May 04 2021, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> If you think my assumption is incorrect, please let me know what kind of
> hook would be required.

No, I don't think there's anything Org should provide. I just wanted to be sure
I hadn't missed anything.

>> - =:active= just means "font-lock", right?
>
> Yes, with the emphasis that more than faces could be provided (e.g.,
> help-echo, specific keymap, …).

Ah, that's good to know. I hadn't realised that.

>> - What kind of data structure do the =:follow= and =:activate= functions
>> take?
>>   Should I just look at =oc-basic.el= or is this written down
>>   somewhere?
>
> Processors must be registered using `org-cite-register-processor'
> function from "oc.el". See its docstring for details. All arguments are
> detailed.

The docstring talks about a "citation object", and the "citation or citation
reference object at point". Do I assume correctly that these are structures as
returned by =org-element-parse-buffer=?

> At some point, we will need to write some documentation in the manual,
> too...

For the moment, I can follow the lead in =oc-basic.el= and do what it does.

> "oc.el" provides a number of hopefully useful tools. Among them,
> `org-cite-list-bibliography-files' function returns what you're asking
> for. Global variable and keywords are cumulative.

Great, thanks!

> HTH!

Yes, this was certainly very helpful. Thank you for your answer and thank you
for all the hard work you've put in.

The same goes for everyone else who put time and effort into making org-cite
happen, of course. :-)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments