Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Denis Maier
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 10:08:48 +0200

Am 05.05.2021 um 20:14 schrieb M. ‘quintus’ Gülker:
Am 05. Mai 2021 um 09:46 Uhr -0400 schrieb Bruce D'Arcus:
We found three rules:

1. what Chicago calls "American"
2. what it calls "British"
3. French (though Denis is still confirming how these work in actual books)

The output in each, when formatting as a note:

1. A sentence ending in a "cited quote."[1]
2. A sentence ending in a "cited quote".[1]
3. A sentence ending in a "cited quote[1]."

While I have never seen it stated authoritatively somewhere, in German
it appears to be common to use 1) if the terminal period is in the
cited source, and 2) if it is not, that is, just being exact in
quoting. As a result, both variants can occur in the same document,
because it depends on the cited source.

3) is doubtful in German. It would mean that there is a footnote 1 in
the cited source, but there is not reference for the cited source.

Just to be clear, these are meant as examples for the three language specific rules outlined above. 1. is an example for the "American" style, which consistently puts punctuation (commas and periods) inside quotation marks even if the punctuation mark does not appear in the original quotation. 2. is an example for the "British" style, which seems to conform to what seems to be correct in German. 3. is an example for what the latex csquotes describes as "French" style where the footnote mark seems to be included in the quotation just before the punctuation mark. Yesterday, I've tried to find examples for this rule in French book, and I couldn't. I found this: - Punctuation is placed inside or outside the quotation marks depending on whether you're quoting a complete sentence.
        - If punctuation is placed inside the quotation marks the order is:
."[1]
        - If punctuation is placed outside the quotation marks the order is:
"[1].
        - If there is no preceding quotation the order is: [1].
Maybe a native French speaker can shed some light on this?

Denis