Re: About multilingual documents

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: About multilingual documents
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 23:22:09 +0700

On 05/05/2021 01:55, Aleksandar Dimitrov wrote:
Yeah, I know the issue, which is why I rely on XCompose for Latin
scripts. For Cyrillic, alas, that is impossible. It means that I
basically can't control Emacs while using a Cyrillic layout, which is a
pity. I have no good workaround.

Generally, the idea is to enable layout (Xkb group) per window and to reset layout to English if active window is Emacs. I have not tried recipes with managing Xkb group from emacs itself, e.g.
https://github.com/lislon/emacs-switch-lang
https://github.com/Mihara/kbd-indicator.el

Another approach it to set global hotkey and if Emacs is focused, send some special key event that is bound to switching of input method. I have some links but the pages are not in English. Personally, I have not fully polished my setup, however it works with some limitations. I started from bash script calling xdotool, xvkbd, and xprop. Then I realized that C code is not dramatically longer but it allows to avoid struggling with limitations of such tools.

Tim Cross suggested me to raise the question concerning keymaps in emacs-devel once more, but I still do not feel that I am ready to discussion of technical aspects (e.g. hotkey handling in applications that fixed similar issues several years ago)
https://orgmode.org/list/87r1lnvjh0.fsf@gmail.com