Re: Highlighting and Background Colour for Source Code

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Highlighting and Background Colour for Source Code
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 08:39:48 +0200

> Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 5:50 PM
> From: "Tim Cross" <theophilusx@gmail.com>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I agree that some features of org-mode (e.ge heading folding, code folding)
would be good to have available in emacs-lisp-mode, texinfo-mode, ...
The use of general minor-mode such as outline-minor-mode would be a good place
to handle the various programming languages.

Currently, there in outline-minor-mode and various others (outline-magic,
outshine).
Things are all over the place.  I know that Carsten was keen to persuade for
ideas in
org-mode to be included in outline-minor-mode.  This has not happened.  I am
convinced
that the developers of org-mode could make valuable contributions to
outline-minor-mode,
because currently the ideas there are extremely convoluted and writing an
outline setup
is difficult.

There will be a number of capabilities to consider

1. Heading Levels using comment lines (e.g. ";;; * Heahding", ";;; **
Subheading", ...)

2. Folding of headings and subheadings only (cycling using single key)

3. Folding of code structures only (cycling using single key)

That would be valuable for starters.  Then we can look at more beef later
on.

What do you think?  Would the org-team be willing and able to assist a
re-development
of outline-minor-mode?