Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 21:02:36 +0200

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> Java is available in my distribution, ditaa is not. Removing ditaa from
> org means that I have to do manual installation and configuration, while
> with ditaa bundled, org-mode can simply note that I need java installed.
>
>> If we bundle it, we also need to ensure it is updated if/when new jar
>> versions are released.
>
> We can do that, but we don’t have to. As long as the bundled jar works,
> it is much better than no jar.
Depending on what users have on their machines it may not work on their
machine. The bundled jar might ask for a version of Java runtime that
users does not have. There is no guarantee that every distribution comes
with java bundled either. For you it maybe works, for someone else it
might generate 1001 question and confusion when things don't work.