Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 21:15:43 +0200

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I also had to install textlive, plantuml, graphviz, taskjuggler,
>> ledger, sqlite and many other things.
>
> Perhaps it would be good to make a table of
>
> | software | needed for | package name | download page |

Maybe there could be a hash table where one can register a function with
a software, similar to how autoload works. but instead of specifying
file where function is found, we could specify a sotware/package name
and a link to download/main page?

Maybe function level is too granular, maybe per feature level?

> and/or prompt users when an action requiring another executable is
> undertaken if it isn't found.

I think it's a good idea.

A minor mode that can be turned off for experienced users but on by
default and maybe with knowledge where to find the required software,
i.e. a link that Emacs can open in default a web browser for the
user. Ultimate would be to offer a download, but considering all the
distros and possible dead links, probably better to go just for download
or main page.