Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 22:53:30 +0200

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
>> If org-mode wants to support ditaa, it is a requirement to inform the user
>> how to
>> get the software and install it.  Moving into into a separate repository
>> without
>> appropriately telling the user introduces the problem that users will miss
>> out
>> on free software that they would otherwise have used.  Using org should not
>> be made
>> more difficult than it already is.
>>
> Another problem I didn't mention in previous replay, is that user can
> have wrong (outdated) version of Java installed on his/her machine which
> might not be compatible with ditaa version org mode ships, which may
> introduce further questions and problems. IMO I think it is better to
> leave out 3rd party applications and let users install those on their
> own.

The old version should just keep working. It requires a Java older than
Java 8, and Java 8 is available everywhere.

For the new releases that is less clear, since ditaa is adding Clojure.

I would bundle the old version to keep old documents working (I do not
want org-mode to be volatile software[1] that breaks existing documents
with an update), but notify the user that a new version exists.

[1]: https://stevelosh.com/blog/2012/04/volatile-software/

Best wishes,
Arne
--