Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 10:44:17 +0200

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>>
>>> If org-mode wants to support ditaa, it is a requirement to inform the user
>>> how to
>>> get the software and install it.  Moving into into a separate repository
>>> without
>>> appropriately telling the user introduces the problem that users will miss
>>> out
>>> on free software that they would otherwise have used.  Using org should not
>>> be made
>>> more difficult than it already is.
>>>
>> Another problem I didn't mention in previous replay, is that user can
>> have wrong (outdated) version of Java installed on his/her machine which
>> might not be compatible with ditaa version org mode ships, which may
>> introduce further questions and problems. IMO I think it is better to
>> leave out 3rd party applications and let users install those on their
>> own.
>
> The old version should just keep working. It requires a Java older than
> Java 8, and Java 8 is available everywhere.
I don't think that would be the case. Java is considered unsafe software
so I wouldn't rely on older versions being pre-installed and avialable
everywhere.

> I would bundle the old version to keep old documents working (I do not
> want org-mode to be volatile software[1] that breaks existing documents
> with an update), but notify the user that a new version exists.

Since you already have Java and ditaa installed on your computer, your
older documents won't get broken.

By the way, how difficult is to download one file from the internet
(ditaa.jar) if you are an user?