Re: URLs with brackets not recognised

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: URLs with brackets not recognised
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 22:06:50 +0200

Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:

> I do not think it is a bug. Plain text links detection is a kind of
> heuristics. It will be always possible to win competition with regexp.
> Consider it as a limitation requiring some hints from an intelligent
> user.

I disagree. URLs are well-specified. Per RFC 3986, the characters
allowed in a URL are [A-Za-z0-9\-._~!$&'()*+,;=:@\/?]. Org mode should
implement proper URL detection, not asking its users "to give it some
hints" and using "a kind of heuristics". A string either is a valid URL
per the relevant RFCs or it is not.

-- Rudy