Re: URLs with brackets not recognised

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: URLs with brackets not recognised
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 12:21:01 +1000

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I do not think it is a bug. Plain text links detection is a kind of
>> heuristics. It will be always possible to win competition with regexp.
>> Consider it as a limitation requiring some hints from an intelligent
>> user.
>
> I disagree. URLs are well-specified. Per RFC 3986, the characters
> allowed in a URL are [A-Za-z0-9\-._~!$&'()*+,;=:@\/?]. Org mode should
> implement proper URL detection, not asking its users "to give it some
> hints" and using "a kind of heuristics". A string either is a valid URL
> per the relevant RFCs or it is not.

Limitations with plain text links are documented in the manual, with an
explanation of why you need to use the org link insertion commands to
created a valid link which escapes the problematic characters.

As this is defined and documented behaviour, I don't see how it can be
considered a bug. You might consider it a frustrating or even
unnecessary limitation, but not a bug.

I'm sure a patch which improves org handling of plain urls would be
considered. However, previous attempts at such enhancements have either
resulted in significant performance impact or unexpected and unwanted
side effects. In short, this is a non-trivial problem to solve. As the
need for such use cases in plain text links is a small use case and as
you can have those links using org link syntax, it would be very hard to
justify a patch which may have adverse performance impact for all users.

This change could be considered a feature enhancement, but it is not a
bug.

--
Tim Cross