Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 13:23:00 +0200

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

>> Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 at 5:30 PM
>> From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
>> To: "Arthur Miller" <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Cc: "Jarmo Hurri" <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
>> Subject: Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)
>>

>> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>>
>> > Exactly, so it is enough to just download a single file and point your
>> > org to it with one `setq' in your init file. So it does not need a
>> > pacakge managmenet on os level.
>>
>> Package management is how users should install software. Otherwise you
>> quickly reach the point where they blindly curl and run untrusted
>> shell-scripts from shady websites.
>
> I agree with the assessment regarding shady websites.
>
>> > However, Org could also simply say: use another distro that has ditaa in
>> > it's repository, such as Arch Linuz (in AUR).
>>
>> That would be openly hostile.

No is not. There are so many distributions that are half-done,
unmaintained, etc. By the way, if your distro does not have a package
for ditaa, then you might maybe consider doing a community service and
provide a package script for your distro? I guess your distro have some
way for users to contribute a package?

> If there exists the serious problem of not finding ditaa, then ditaa should
> be provided.
> For the rest there exist no problem and users can easily install from their
> Package Manager.
>
> You can't brush off a boyfriend and expect him to do you a favor using Free
> Software
> by telling him to use another distro.  ;)

:-) It is just the usual one: "you deserve a better one ...."