Re: tags-todo agenda shoud not ignore DONE items

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: tags-todo agenda shoud not ignore DONE items
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 00:46:59 -0400

Bastien writes:

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Confirming this as an issue, if someone wants to fix it.
>
> This should be fixed now with 823f9744e in maint, tags-todo should now
> include DONE headings.

823f9744e looks like a regression because it removes the distinction
between `tags' and `tags-todo'.  Consider the following file

* h1                                                                   :atag:
* TODO h2                                                              :atag:
* DONE h3                                                              :atag:
* h4
* TODO h5
* DONE h6

and the following configuration

  (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
        '(("1" tags "atag")
          ("2" tags-todo "atag")))

Before the above commit, 1 should show

  scratch:    h1
          :atag:
  scratch:    TODO h2
          :atag:
  scratch:    DONE h3
          :atag:

and 2

  scratch:    TODO h2
          :atag:

That matches my expectations, though the request in this thread is that
2 includes "DONE h3" as well.

With 823f9744e, both 1 and 2 show

  scratch:    h1
          :atag:
  scratch:    TODO h2
          :atag:
  scratch:    DONE h3
          :atag:

Note the inclusion of a non-TODO entry for 2 (tags-todo).

---

James Cash sent a followup patch to this in a detached thread:

  https://orgmode.org/list/87tuvyaopv.fsf@gmail.com

As I mentioned in that thread (<87361d7p3q.fsf@kyleam.com>) and
suggested in this thread (<87d061auiw.fsf@kyleam.com>), I think tags and
tags-todo should stay aligned with agenda's m/M, with tags-todo
excluding DONE items just as M does.