Re: [wip-cite-new] Initial implementation of `biblatex' citation process

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Initial implementation of `biblatex' citation processor
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 15:44:57 +0200

Hello,

Denis Maier <denismaier@mailbox.org> writes:

> \cite is the most basic cite command:
>
> In a author-year style:
> \cite                 => Doe 2020
> \textcite     => Doe (2020)
> \parencite    => (Doe 2020)
> \autocite     => \parencite
>
> In note-based styles (e.g verbose):
>
> \cite                 => Doe, Title
> \footcite     => [fn:: Doe, Title]
> \parencite    => (Doe, Title)
> \autocite     => \footcite
>

>>> Also, footcite should be there.
>> Footcite is already there under the "note"/"fn" style.
>
> Good! (I was just a bit confused because biblatex has \footcite and
> \notecite.

Here is the summary:

| Style     | Variant   | Command      |
|-----------+-----------+--------------|
| author    | caps      | Citeauthor*  |
| author    | full      | citeauthor   |
| author    | caps-full | Citeauthor   |
| author    |           | citeauthor   |
|-----------+-----------+--------------|
| locators  | bare      | notecite     |
| locators  | caps      | Pnotecite    |
| locators  | bare-caps | Notecite     |
| locators  |           | pnotecite    |
|-----------+-----------+--------------|
| nocite    |           | nocite       |
|-----------+-----------+--------------|
| note      | bare      | footcitetext |
| note      |           | footcite     |
|-----------+-----------+--------------|
| smart     | caps      | Smartcite    |
| smart     |           | smartcite    |
|-----------+-----------+--------------|
| super     |           | supercite    |
|-----------+-----------+--------------|
| text      | caps      | Textcite     |
| text      |           | textcite     |
|-----------+-----------+--------------|
| title     | full      | citetitle*   |
| title     |           | citetitle    |
|-----------+-----------+--------------|
| year      | full      | citeyear*    |
| year      |           | citeyear     |
|-----------+-----------+--------------|
| (default) | caps      | Autocite     |
| (default) |           | autocite     |

"bare" variant means "without parenthesis", I think.

One problem is there is no "\cite", or "\parencite". I though they would
make a good fit for the default style, "\cite" being the "bare" variant
of "\parencite", and "\autocite" could be moved to a "auto" style. I'm
not sure where to put \cite, then.

Suggestions to change the table above are welcome.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou