Re: Empty headline titles unsupported: Bug?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Empty headline titles unsupported: Bug?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 16:37:39 -0700

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

>> But having undefined behaviors is limiting on the portability of Org
>> because people are unwilling to pick it up and attempt to (say) create a
>> (partial) Org for other platforms (iPhone, Android, etc.).

> This is very much a secondary consideration. While making it as easy as
> possible to parse org files outside of Emacs is not a bad thing, it
> should not be a primary driver for how org works. Org is an emacs mode
> and I think we need to be careful when considering limiting what you can
> do with it based on how easily it can be formally specified for external
> tools to use. I think few org users would welcome a change which removed
> a feature or required them to modify their workflow just to support the
> development of non-emacs tools.

Could it be done via a secondary parser?  That is, define a base level
language for Org that fits into a BNF (or..?) grammar and then a package
that could be a pre-hook to the parser that rewrites improper tidbits
into a grammatically correct form?  I'm thinking, if the grammar is well
defined, the secondary parser won't be that complex.

--
David Masterson