Re: [org-cite, oc-csl] citation fontification and previews?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [org-cite, oc-csl] citation fontification and previews?
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 19:43:11 +0200

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> In an earlier discussion, people raised the issue of fontification and
> previews.
>
> But I'm wondering what Nicolas has already implemented, and what he or
> others might still add.
>
> Details:
>
> John Kitchin (based on his experience with org-ref):
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-04/msg00438.html
>
> He suggested a green face for known references, and red for unknown.
>
> I think Nicolas implemented this basic idea somewhere, but I am not
> noticing it; I don't see any difference with incorrect keys.

You need to use "basic" processor for activation. It only supports
".bib" files.

> John also suggested a tooltip preview of the roughly formatted reference.
>
> Again, I thought Nicolas had earlier implemented this, but I don't see
> it ATM; hovering over keys doesn't do anything.

I sent a POC, but I didn't implement it in "oc-basic", tho.

> AndrĂ¡s Simyoni:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-04/msg00289.html
>
> He was thinking about using citeproc-el to attach some kind of preview as
> well.
>
> "I'm thinking about implementing a "fontification" solution which would
> use citeproc-el with a standard style to produce nice preview-like
> representations of the citations in the buffer. This would require
> basically the same pieces of information as citation export I think,
> although it might be made strictly  local, working only with the
> single citation object plus the bibliography information."
>
> Timothy:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-04/msg00456.html
>
> He was thinking about previews as well, with overlays:
>
> "I think what would be ideal, would be if common citation styles could
> define a method which produces a display string, like "Goaziou et al.
> (2021)". If nothing is defined, then no overlay should be produced."
>
> And my reply to him, based on the example of Zettlr:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-04/msg00462.html
>
> I think that example would imply overlays as well, though I don't
> really understand all the technical details or org-specific pros and
> cons (tooltips vs overlays and such), but am just wondering:
>
> 1. what is already included, and what should ship default? Perhaps
> Andras' idea would fit for oc-csl, since it already depends on
> citeproc-el?

"oc-csl" could also handle the "activate" capacity. So could Org Ref.

> 2. if some is not included, say preview, how would one add that? I
> assume the API supports it; so one would just install, say, a little
> package and add that as a "follow" processor? And one could add
> multiple such processors?

You can only have one "activate" processor at a time. However, that
processor may itself be extensible.