Re: [wip-cite-new] Initial implementation of `csl' citation processor

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Initial implementation of `csl' citation processor
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 13:25:19 -0400

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 12:34 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Right now, citeproc-el, and hence also oc-csl, only supports the "bare"
> > variant.
> >
> > Would it be feasible, and make sense, to fall back all "bare" variants
> > to "bare" for now?
> >
> > So this:
> >
> > [cite//bare-caps:@latexcompanion]
> >
> > ... would render as:
> >
> > Doe 2019
>
> We dropped variant inheritance some time ago already, when the suggested
> syntax was style/variant/subvariant... Now, "bare" and "bare-caps" are
> totally different from Org Cite POV. I'd rather not re-introduce this.

Oh wait, I just realized citeproc-el already has a parameter for
"caps" (which I hadn't realized).

- "bare" -> "suppress-affixes" parameter
- "caps" -> "capitalize-first"

Right?

So that would allows support for:

- "bare"
- "caps"
- "bare-caps"

So if he adds an equivalent of the "full" parameter, that could extend
the sub-styles support in oc-csl?

> Maybe "bare" need to be promoted as a full-fledged style, so "bare/caps"
> could fallback to "bare". I don't know.

I thought of that too, but it won't work, because "bare" applies to
multiple styles.

Bruce