Re: literate programming, development log -- ideas?

From: Samuel Banya
Subject: Re: literate programming, development log -- ideas?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 02:06:07 +0000

I did a ton of notes in Org Mode with src blocks all of the time in my previous support job, and planning to do the same in my new one.

Can anyone post any video links to this kind of style of programming being used directly in Emacs?

I know there's the awesome one on YouTube by Harry Schwartz, but I feel like there's gotta be some more content on how to do this, and how to integrate this effectively in a workflow.

I know some people had mentioned in this thread that they use a .org file for their given project, but can anyone link to any repos where this is actually being used?

Would be curious on how people have implemented this.

Also, would be interested in other Org packages as well (since I was debating org-roam, but didn't feel I was smart enough to handle it yet).

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021, at 11:17 PM, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

briangpowell <briangpowellms@gmail.com> writes:

> * Donald Knuth created much for us, including TeX and a Literate
> Programming system called CWeb which helped to make C code documented in
> what he envisioned for Literate Programming
>
> ** A more generalized system that is based on CWeb is NoWeb--useful not
> just for C/C++ code but for every language: Recommend using NoWeb for
> Literate Programming: "NoWeb — A Simple, Extensible Tool for Literate
> Programming":

https://www.cs.tufts.edu/~nr/noweb/

I use :noweb-ref quite a bit, and most of my org-files end in

# Local Variables:
# org-confirm-babel-evaluate: nil
# org-export-default-language: en
# org-babel-noweb-wrap-start: "{{{"
# org-babel-noweb-wrap-end: "}}}"
# End:

A recent wonderful discovery I made is M-x org-babel-detangle. I used it
extensively with mathe-ass:
https://hg.sr.ht/~arnebab/draketo/browse/anderes/mathe-ass.org?rev=e9c77a19ed5f#L344
https://www.draketo.de/anderes/mathe-ass.js

mathe-ass.org:
* code                                                             :noexport:
#+begin_src _javascript_ :tangle "mathe-ass.js" :exports none :comments link

#+end_src

mathe-ass.js:
// [[file:mathe-ass.org::*code][code:1]]

// code:1 ends here

With this I can program in the tangled file and then re-import the code
to org.

Best wishes,
Arne
--