Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:39:01 +0200

Hello,

Denis Maier <denismaier@mailbox.org> writes:

> Yes, good this is coming.

As a step forward, I rebased wip-cite-new branch with more support for
note numbers handling.

I added three customizable variables:

- org-cite-adjust-note-numbers, which simply allows the user to toggle
  punctuation and note number moving (on by default).

- org-cite-note-rules, which defines what rules to apply according to
  locale, expressed as a language tag, as in RFC 4646.

- org-cite-punctuation-marks, which lists strings recognized as
  punctuation in the process.

`csl' and `basic' processors now both make use of this.

I'd appreciate some feedback, in particular about the docstrings of the
variables above. I focused on the "note numbers" topic instead of
"punctuation" since I found the latter too generic.

Also, there are some points that may need to be discussed:

- I'm not sure about the `org-cite-punctuation-marks' variable being
  global, i.e., not locale-specific.

- There is no support for this in LaTeX-derived back-ends, because
  I don't know when a citation is going to become a footnote. As
  a reminder, there is no "\footcite" command in `biblatex' processor.
  OTOH, users might prefer using a more advanced mechanism, e.g.,
  csquotes.

- It doesn't do anything special in quote blocks, because I'm still not
  sure there is something to do. AFAIU, special casing there only
  applies to author-date location, which out of the scope of this code.

WDYT?

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou