Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 19:37:34 -0400

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 7:45 AM Denis Maier <denismaier@mailbox.org> wrote:

> Below a few examples of what I mean.
>
> WDYT? Am I missing something?
>
> Denis
> #+cite_export: csl
> "C:/Users/denis/Zotero/styles/chicago-note-bibliography.csl"
> #+bibliography: test.bib
>
> * Original source
>
> "A quotation ending with a period."
>
> "A quotation ending without punctuation"
>
> * Author-date style input (= semantically non-strict input)
>
> "A quotation ending with a period" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].
>
> "A quotation ending without punctuation" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].
>
> ** author-date output with language: en-us
> Expected: "A quotation ending with a period" (Hoel 1971).
> Actual:   "A quotation ending with a period" (Hoel 1971).
>
> Expected: "A quotation ending without punctuation" (Hoel 1971).
> Actual:   "A quotation ending without punctuation" (Hoel 1971).
>
> => ok
>
> ** author-date output with language: de
> Expected: "A quotation ending with a period" (Hoel 1971).
> Actual:   "A quotation ending with a period" (Hoel 1971).
>
> Expected: "A quotation ending without punctuation" (Hoel 1971).
> Actual:   "A quotation ending without punctuation" (Hoel 1971).
>
> => ok
>
> ** note style output with language: en-us
> Expected: "A quotation ending with a period."[1]
> Actual:   "A quotation ending with a period."[1]
>
> Expected: "A quotation ending without punctuation."[1]
> Actual:   "A quotation ending without punctuation."[1]
>
> => ok
>
> ** note style output with language: en-gb or de
> Expected: "A quotation ending with a period."[1]
> Actual:   "A quotation ending with a period".[1]
>
> Expected: "A quotation ending without punctuation".[1]
> Actual:   "A quotation ending without punctuation".[1]
>
> => Here, we cannot distinguish between the two cases as we don't know whether
> punctuation appears in the original source.
>
> * Note style input (=semantically strict input)
>
> "A quotation ending with a period." [cite: @hoel-71-whole]
>
> "A quotation ending without punctuation". [cite: @hoel-71-whole]
>
> As the input preserves the location of punctuation in the original material,
> I'd say it should be much easier to deal with this. We don't have to add
> information which isn't in the input, but rather we'll just have to move any
> punctuation to after the citation object. Maybe I'm missing something, but to
> me this looks like a much simpler operation than going in the opposite
> direction.
>
> Maybe we should stop talking about author date vs note style input, but
> rather about strict vs. non-strict input.

It's definitely not author-date vs note. I see it as in-text citations
vs note citations. As in, the former applies to other styles beyond
author-date.

The example you are highlighlighting here was why I was earlier
suggesting for a rule that would allow something like this input:

"A quotation ending with a period." [cite: @hoel-71-whole].

... where the second would be dropped, hence getting the expected output.

But IDK what Nicolas thinks of considering that now, or deferring for
later consideration.

Bruce