Re: [External Email] Re: publishing: no default publishing function, or

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [External Email] Re: publishing: no default publishing function, or symbol is not defined
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 19:32:44 +0000

Hi Christopher,

Christopher W. Ryan" via "General discussions about Org-mode. writes:

> I would expect each named entry in an index to appear once, with, if
> necessary, multiple links next to it for all the places that index tag
> occurs in the main document. At least, that's how the indices in books
> work.  Can the same be done in org mode?

I'm afraid that in HTML that is not possible. Page numbers are used in
books to refer to an index entry, but on a web site we don't have page
numbers: Where would we apply the links? What I usually do with my web
index is: use first-level entries for the general concept and second or
third level entries for concepts more concrete.

P.ej:

In document A:

#+INDEX: GNU Emacs!external packages!projectile

In document B:

#+INDEX: GNU Emacs!external packages!helm

Links to document A and B go to projectile and Helm

Anyway, I think in this scenario it's better to use tags, but
org-publish doesn't provide tags out of the box. You need to do some
elisp hacking to get something like blog tags in your web site.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel