Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations

From: Denis Maier
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 10:12:22 +0200

Am 20.06.2021 um 09:41 schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
Hello,

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 7:45 AM Denis Maier <denismaier@mailbox.org> wrote:

* Note style input (=semantically strict input)

"A quotation ending with a period." [cite: @hoel-71-whole]

"A quotation ending without punctuation". [cite: @hoel-71-whole]

As the input preserves the location of punctuation in the original
material, I'd say it should be much easier to deal with this. We
don't have to add information which isn't in the input, but rather
we'll just have to move any punctuation to after the citation
object. Maybe I'm missing something, but to me this looks like
a much simpler operation than going in the opposite direction.

This cannot be. [...]

As another, imperfect, workaround, I submit the following idea for
consideration:

   "A quotation ending without punctuation" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].
   "A quotation ending with a period"[cite: @hoel-71-whole].

IOW, the presence or absence of a space before the citation determines,
according to a note rule, if the punctuation should go inside or outside
the quotation. When processing non-note citations, we just need to
ensure there is at least a space after the previous element, which is
less "dangerous" than removing punctuation.

Yes, I guess we should be safe here. I can't think of a case where you wouldn't want a space before a citation.

I find it a bit too subtle, and so error-prone, but so is punctuation
anyway. >
WDYT?

Not a bad approach.

Using a space for this is perhaps too subtle as you say. Also, the question is which one should be the default. I'd actually suggest to turn it around:

   "A quotation ending without punctuation"[cite: @hoel-71-whole].
   "A quotation ending with a period" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].

Reason for this: People who don't care for this distinction---either because they use en-us only, or because they never switch from in-text to notes styles---will probably prefer to have a space between quotation and citation (in input and output). On the other hand, this here feels also a bit odd:
   "A quotation ending without punctuation"[cite: @hoel-71-whole].

In your example the rule would simply be that punctuation cannot jump across spaces.

What about some sort of escaping for punctuation that should stay outside the quotation marks?
   "A quotation ending without punctuation" [cite: @hoel-71-whole]\.

But, of course, that's imperfect as well. Don't know which option is less odd.

Denis