Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 10:45:29 +0200

Hello,

Denis Maier <denismaier@mailbox.org> writes:

> Using a space for this is perhaps too subtle as you say. Also, the
> question is which one should be the default. I'd actually suggest to
> turn it around:
>
>    "A quotation ending without punctuation"[cite: @hoel-71-whole].
>    "A quotation ending with a period" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].
>
> Reason for this: People who don't care for this distinction---either
> because they use en-us only, or because they never switch from in-text
> to notes styles---will probably prefer to have a space between
> quotation and citation (in input and output).

People who don't care for this distinction can write

   "A quotation ending without punctuation" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].
   "A quotation ending with a period" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].

So I guess the default doesn't matter in this case?

> What about some sort of escaping for punctuation that should stay
> outside the quotation marks?
>    "A quotation ending without punctuation" [cite: @hoel-71-whole]\.
>
> But, of course, that's imperfect as well. Don't know which option is
> less odd.

Actual usage may tell. I implemented the spacing-tweak in
"wip-cite-new". You (and others) may want to try it out on real
documents and see if it feels somewhat natural.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou