Re: Large source block causes org-mode to be unusable

From: Tom Gillespie
Subject: Re: Large source block causes org-mode to be unusable
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 13:41:44 -0700

> That said, I think keeping 2000 lines of source code inside an
> org src block is neither a standard use case nor a reasonable idea.

I would say that it certainly is a standard use case for people who
want to keep everything in a single file (e.g. to simplify
reproducibility and avoid the mess of trying to distribute multiple
files to non-technical users). #+INCLUDE is not a substitute if you
are going to be tangling files, breaks many workflows, and as a result
should rarely be recommended as a solution when src blocks are
involved. Org should definitely be able to handle this case because
there is no reason why performance should be any worse than having a
2000 line file in another buffer.

Org babel has many basic interactivity performance pitfalls that need
to be investigated. I personally have many workarounds for bad emacs
performance degradations related to code executing in the event loop
because I need to get on with the task at hand, but they need to be
fixed, not dismissed.