Re: [SOLVED] (kinda) Calendar vs. org-agenda exit

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] (kinda) Calendar vs. org-agenda exit
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 06:54:25 +1000

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 14:09:46 +0200 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

>>> See also bug#48199 (also CC'd at
>>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-05/msg00582.html).
>>> I continue to use the patch I posted there and have had no problems with
>>> it (but I don't use org-mode much).
>>
>> Oh, I see, thanks. For me, it's a bit confusing that this bug receives
>> so little attention. Hijacking other modes's keymaps isn't... friendly,
>> after all. I can't imagine that it is happening by intention.
>
> Yeah, the next time Org is merged to the Emacs master branch, forcing me
> to first stash and then reapply my patch locally, I'll ask if anyone
> objects to the patch being committed to master.  Maybe that will get
> someone's attention (and if not, I may just go ahead and commit it -- if
> it then still gets no one's attention, it must be ok ;-).

My view is that if org-mode is stealing the calendar bindings by default
i.e. user has not enabled some specific option/configuration to do this,
then this is a bug. Org should not interfere with the key bindings of
any mode unless asked to. Some people still like to use traditional
Emacs diary rather than org agenda for scheduling meetings/appointments,
but like to use (load) org for other things (like document authoring and
TODO lists). Org should only override the calendar bindings if
requested.

If your patch fixes this, I vote to apply it to master.

--
Tim Cross