Re: [patch] add :url and :doi optional entries for export to BiBTeX

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [patch] add :url and :doi optional entries for export to BiBTeX
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 16:54:29 +0100

On Thursday,  1 Jul 2021 at 22:23, Timothy wrote:
> I've not used Org for exporting to BibTeX, so I don't really know what
> I'm on about, but is there any particular reason why only some entries
> have :url ? Other than that, this seems like a fairly straightforward
> patch.

First of all, it's an optional entry so only exported if present.  What I did
was consider which types of publications would tend to have a URL instead of
other bibliographic information and only include for those where it would
likely necessary.  For instance, journal articles will be given a DOI so a URL
is less useful; technical reports, however, are likely to be hosted at an
institution's web site so a URL is likely useful.

But I must admit that I didn't spend much time thinking about which ones should
have it.  I didn't want all of them because I often store the URL for a journal
article in the org file just for quick access but I do not want it exported to
BiBTeX as it would be messy and superfluous when the paper were cited.

I'm glad the patch seemed straightforward!  Thank you.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-570-g7666d6
: Latest paper written in org: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.05096