Re: [wip-cite-new] Quick note about citation insertion

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Quick note about citation insertion
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 17:05:50 -0400

I would not use a prefix arg here. you should just check what is at the point, and if it is a citation then append it after the citation at point, and if not insert a new one (maybe after moving the point to an appropriate place if needed).

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 4:59 PM Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021, 4:14 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. I don't see a way to add a key to an existing citation. Editing an
> existing key uses completing-read, rather than
> completing-read-multiple (as for a new citation), and places point
> after the existing key means the style editing UI will pop up.

Indeed, there's no way to add a reference to an existing citation.
I admit I didn't think about it. What about appending a reference when
the function is called with C-u?

Probably that would work.

BTW, you may already be thinking this, but you may as well add completion from the files registered with OC at this point. :-)

Only having the completion table populated with in-document keys won't be very useful, particularly in a new document.

If you do, ideally it would be extensible/configurable.

Or is the latter already the case?

OTOH, IDK how much you feel the need to get everything done before merger, or whether some pieces can wait?

Bruce