Re: [wip-cite-new] Quick note about citation insertion

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Quick note about citation insertion
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 04:45:46 -0400

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 4:05 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> > If I select that, "nil" is added to the citation, so that the result
> > is "[cite/nil:@key]".
>
> That's expected. "nil" is the name of the processor's fall-back style,
> ignoring any inheritance. It is different from the empty style (""),
> which takes into account inheritance.

Two things:

First, after adding a style, I can't see how to subsequently remove it
using this interface, to just have "[cite:@key]". Is that possible?

In my formatting function for OC, which is simpler than your's in some
ways, I have a named "default" style, with that as the
ido-completing-read "initial-value", which is then removed if
selected.

In practice, what that means is if the user is prompted for the style
but hits return, they select "default", and hence the result is
"[cite:@key]".

But they can also, of course, select the other named styles instead.

It seems efficient and clear to me, and if the answer to my question
above is "no", it could be a reasonable approach to address this.

Second, the "nil" vs "empty" distinction was obviously not immediately
intuitive to me. I don't have a better name for "nil" ATM though, so
maybe it will be fine. Hopefully people won't have the need to use it
much.

Bruce