Re: convert subtree or nested list to table

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: convert subtree or nested list to table
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 17:16:43 -0400

thank you Juan Mnauel. I'm testing it out, but I do wonder if I would really rather work with lists and some CSS!

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 8:56 AM Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> wrote:
Hi Matt, sorry for the slow reply...

Matt Price writes:

> I'd love to try that, thanks. I think it would be really helpful.
> Much appreciated!

Some previous caveats:

- *The code is very raw*. I wrote it almost as a "proof of concept" for
  my personal use, therefore it is quite improvable. In any case, it
  works (but i don't know if it will help you get what you want...).

- The attached example is optimized to export to LaTeX. Use the tabularx
  environment, which is ideal for tables with a lot of textual content.

- As for the code, there are two basic functions:
  `my-org/edit-table-cell' and
  `my-org/kill-edit-table-cell-buffer-and-save'. To edit an empty cell,
  you have to write something in that cell first.

- The basic idea is that within each cell, the content is a single line
  (unfilled). In the edit buffer, the content is filled. There are two
  macros to indicate a line break and a paragraph end: {{{nl}}} and
  {{{par}}}. In the edit buffer you can put line breaks and white lines,
  but all of that is lost inside the cell once saved (all is a single
  line), so those macros are needed to indicate line or paragraph breaks
  (in LaTeX).

Best regards,

Juan Manuel