Re: [wip-cite-new] Quick note about citation insertion

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Quick note about citation insertion
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 00:59:40 +0200

Hello,

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> Nicolas - I saw you pushed some changes, per the discussion.

Hey, that was a surpriseĀ ! ;)

So, here's an update. Now "oc-basic" provides a reasonable experience
for inserting references in a document. It also supports both CSL and
BibTeX bibliographies. Therefore, it is used as the default insertion
processor.

For a user, selecting another insertion processor is done by customizing
`org-cite-insert-processor' variable.

For a developer, there are now two ways to create an insert processor.

1. If you are happy with the global behaviour of "basic", but want to
   improve completion, I added the `org-cite-make-insert-processor'
   tool.

2. If you also want to change the behaviour, you need to write a new
   function from scratch.

Then you define the processor with either:

  (org-cite-register-processor 'my-insert-proc
    :insert (org-cite-make-insert-processor
             #'my-select-key
             #'my-select-style))                            ;situation 1

or

  (org-cite-register-processor 'my-insert-proc
   :insert #'my-function)                                   ;situation 2

> First, my initial thought is the behavior at point is perfect.

Ah!

> Second, what's your intended way one enters a citation with two references?
>
> In selectrum, I:
>
> 1. select one reference with RET
> 2. select another
> 3. C-j to exit
>
> Is that the expected workflow and behavior?

Yes, it is.  You need to enter the empty string to exit.  C-j is the way
to do that on Selectrum.  I don't know about Vertico.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou