Re: [wip-cite-new] Merging tomorrow?

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Merging tomorrow?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 18:17:07 +0800

Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

>> wip-cite-new deals with citing from bibliographies, but I don't think it
>> deals with within-document referencing --- should it?

> 1. Should it?
> 1. Maybe.

I feel like it would fit. With everything that's been done for
citations, this feels like it may be a rather minor addition (or at
least this is what I hope).

> 2. Can it? Could the design be extended to include internal referencing?
> 2. I think so. You'd just need a way to include internal targets in
> addition to the citation-references (keys); for illustration,
> something like [cite:#some-if].

I can't claim to have thought about this that much either, but something
like [cite:#some-fig] would seem to fit.

> 3. If yes to both, should that hold back merger now?
> 3. No.

I don't think this should hold up the merge either, but it's relevant in
the overall nature of the feature and perhaps could be shoehorned in
following the merge? I feel like this is one small quite simple case and
most of the thinking required has already been done. I'm not sure
though, I'd go with whatever Nic's thought are on this.

Whichever way this diversion goes, I'm excited to see wip-cite-new merged!

--
Timothy