Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 00:01:47 +0900

> On Jul 10, 2021, at 23:38, Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Jean-Christophe,
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary writes:
>
>> I had given up on Latex because mixing languages sounded like a huge
>> pain in the butt but I see that without some org-level infrastructure
>> it is not possible to achieve much when exporting to Latex/PDF (unless
>> I missed something).
>
> Well, LaTeX has excellent (typographic and orthotypographic)
> multilingual support, using the babel or polyglossia packages. I
> especially recommend babel:
> http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/required/babel/base/babel.pdf

Thank you very much Juan.

I understand that Latex has excellent support for multilingual files. I use it
sometimes for very complex multilingual texts (ancient Japanese and French for
ex).

But with UTF-8 being ubiquitous on computers nowadays, I really can't be
bothered to have to type all those sequences to have org-mode properly export
to PDF something that it exports perfectly well to ODT without requiring
anything extra.

Which is the reason why I was wondering about a "generic" default setting where
the conversion engine behind org could just use a default multilingual package
and a default "wide enough" generic font. I really mean a "good enough" export
where all the characters are visible, nothing fancy.

Jean-Christophe

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com