Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:09:08 +1000

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Tim Cross writes:
>
>> Just FYI for those who don't know, you can use the org-latex-classes
>> variable to define your own pseudo document classes, possibly using the
>> DEFAULT_PACKAGES, PACKAGES, EXTRA_PACKAGES macros and other latex
>> settings. So for example, you can add the babel or other packages you
>> want and either make that the 'default' class or specify which class you
>> want with the #+LATEX_CLASS header. I use this quite a bit because then
>> I don't have to remember which LATEX_HEADER lines to include in the
>> document, the specific option settings etc. I don't need support for
>> multilingual documents, but I do have a number of 'special' documents
>> (such as one with colours, logos and specific fonts for an employer to
>> match their 'style guide'. I also have ones for generating project
>> documents, letters, meeting minutes etc. They all use various different
>> Latex extensions (particularly ones which don't mix well and cannot be
>> included with other packages).
>
> I agree. `Org-latex-classes' is a very good option for create LaTeX
> templates, and I have a few classes defined as well. The problem is when
> you need really long and complex preambles (it is not a problem that
> most users may have, though). In a recent project (a book) my preamble
> had about 2000 lines (including macros and environments defined by me,
> some functions in Lua for LuaTeX, etc.). With long or complex preambles
> it's a bit awkward to do it in Elisp and org-latex-classes. In that
> case, I usually write the preamble to an Org document and generate a
> *.tex file using org-babel-tangle. Then I include that file at the very
> beginning of my document with an \input macro. On the LaTeX side, there
> is also the option to create your own sty file:
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/77/how-to-make-a-standard-preamble-into-a-package
>
> As an alternative to #+LaTeX_Header you can also include the
> preamble in the Org document itself using a LaTeX block:
>
> #+NAME: preamble
> #+begin_src latex :exports none
>
> ... a lot of latex code
> #+end_src
>
> and then, in another block with the keyword `:noweb':
>
> #+begin_src latex :noweb yes :results raw
> ,#+LaTeX_Header: <<preamble>>
> #+end_src
>
> (This useful trick came from Charles Berry in this thread:
> https://orgmode.org/list/225A3D45-0F47-4FFE-8BBA-F023CB8C9A6C@health.ucsd.edu/#r)

Yes, I do pretty much the same. I have a number of personal *.sty files
which contain a lot of additional setup information which would be
difficult to include directly in org-latex-classes.

I have also used the idea of latex blocks and tangling, especially when
working out the details for a specific latex configuration. Once I have
it working, unless this is strictly a 'one off', I will typically move
that information into a *.sty file or similar. I also use a couple of
templates via either company or yasnipet which I use for some org
documents which have a 'standard' outline and header setup.

I find the combination of these techniques makes it easy to create new
documents and maintain existing ones. I have a terrible memory for the
low level configuration stuff, so the more I can rely on pre-defined
configurations, the better. The nice thing about how I have things setup
now is that it seems pretty robust. I rarely encounter any problems when
updating org and am able to get 'up and running' on a new system fairly
quickly. The biggest challenge I've had lately has been my move from my
own standard configuration to using spacemacs. It has taken a bit of
work to get spacemacs to work the way I want, but I have grown to love
the modal editing of evil mode (probably because VI was my first
editor). I'm now very happy with my configuration and workflow.

--
Tim Cross