Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 23:53:33 +0700

On 10/07/2021 23:44, Stefan Nobis wrote:
Maxim Nikulin writes:

(add-to-list 'org-latex-inputenc-alist '("utf8" . "utf8x"))
so I am unaware whether \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc} has any drawbacks.

Do not do this. Both, utf8x and ucs, are obsolete and deprecated for
quite some time.

Maybe, I have seen such warnings. However I have tested neither utf8 nor utf8x on real examples. That is why I am unaware what can be broken in particular. For small examples with various symbols outside of ASCII, utf8x may give better support.

Last time I did something serious with LaTeX, bibtex was 8bit internally (unicode version had not reached stable Linux distributions, pybtex was buggy), so that time I used 8bit charset.

For proper unicode support, switch from pdflatex to lualatex or
xelatex. With these newer backends (and proper adjustments for the
LaTeX preamble generated by Org) Unicode should work out of the box
(if the font supports the requested Unicode characters).

Maybe my expectation from proper unicode support was too optimistic. I see the reason why preamble is necessary with 8bit encodings. I appreciate possibility to easily specify particular ttf or otf font. I do not like that it is necessary to specify *all* fonts, otherwise some characters are missed or compilation fails with error. I do not know if new engines allows to get list of available fonts and to choose a set of fonts with better coverage than lmodern.

I have tried LuaLaTeX with the following file. From some examples I have found, I expect, further tuning is required. Apparent problem is missed unicode characters in math mode. I admit that polyglossia is unavoidable for any real text but I do not like that \set…font commands are mandatory.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{russian}
\setotherlanguage{english}
\setmainfont{CMU Serif} % breaks ∞
\setsansfont{CMU Sans Serif}
\setmonofont{CMU Typewriter Text}

\begin{document}
Test¹ of superscript and ½ fraction.

\textbf{Теорема.} \emph{Пусть} $α → ∞$ и $\beta \to \infty$.

\verb=Катет= и \textsf{гипотенуза}.

Åå. Text Greek α.
\end{document}

(setq org-latex-default-packages-alist
         '(("AUTO" "inputenc" t ("pdflatex"))
           ("T1" "fontenc" t ("pdflatex"))

I just have realized that fontenc behavior should be similar to inputenc and babel, e.g. something like \usepackage[T1,T2A]{fontenc} should be used for Russian.