Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 19:29:51 +0000

Maxim Nikulin writes:

> It perfectly suits for e.g. a book when camera ready variant is
> required. For routine notes it is better to keep from defaults as
> minimal as possible to minimize problems that may arise a decade
> later. I would prefer to avoid Linux Libertine if I am going to send
> source file to a colleague having another OS.

Linux Libertine (otf version) is included in TeX live. Indeed TeX live
includes a extensive catalog of otf and ttf fonts to be used in LuaTeX
or XeTeX:

https://tug.org/FontCatalogue/opentypefonts.html

As for the original topic of this thread, I am not aware of Japanese
nor of its typographic norms, but it may be interesting to take a look
at the luatexja package: https://ctan.org/pkg/luatexja?lang=en

As for LuaTeX, I think this engine has been a great revolution within
the TeX ecosystem, to the point that it is setting the standard of
everything that is coming new and what is to come. I guess that LuaTeX
will be the natural replacement for pdfTeX (in fact, LuaTeX evolved from
pdfTeX and also took elements from another lesser known, experimental
TeX engine, Omega, which was the first attempt, quite avant-garde, to
create a TeX engine totally Unicode based:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_(TeX).

Best regards,

Juan Manuel