Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 14:58:59 +0900

> On Jul 15, 2021, at 4:05, Stefan Nobis <stefan-ml@snobis.de> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to provide reasonable defaults for fonts?
>
> I do not think so. You want Cyrillic. But what about Japanese,
> Chinese, Devanagari, Tamil, Arabic etc? I doubt that there exists a
> single font that supports all these scripts satisfactorily.

The issue I'm pointing at is that we don't need "satisfactorily", we need "good
enough".

There are a number of fonts that have 30k+ glyphs. That's good enough for a lot
of org-mode users.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_font

What we need is 1 or 2 well-documented settings where we specify:

1) the back end
2) the font

It can be org proprieties, or extra elisp code, it doesn't matter. But we need
to have good enough PDF export out of the box. We're in the 21st century.
People expect (I know, free software, etc. but I'm not talking about that)
proper font support for PDF, and well-documented workaround solutions.

I don't mind going through the org→ODF→PDF route, but it's a waste of time.
Still, it works *well enough* so it's actually the only viable option.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com