Re: org-cite citation commands

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: org-cite citation commands
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 16:52:33 -0400

I made a video of my current org-cite setup at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ta4J20kpmM. You can also find a link to the code to run it in the description there.

I don't intend this to be a final video (it is still a little rough!), it is just to help people see what I am thinking about for the future of org-ref, at least as far as the citations go.

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 10:44 AM Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 10:20 AM Vikas Rawal <vikasrawal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Bruce and John. Indeed, I used biblatex with natbib=true
> option, which gives me citet and citep in biblatex. But using
> \autocite and \textcite is perfect.
>
> I am noticing a few other issues at this stage.
>
> I have a large biblatex database, and loading it using C-c C-x @ to
> insert citations seems very slow (have not managed to load it thus
> far). Org-ref used to be much faster in this. org-cite works fine with
> a smaller biblatex database. I don't know if others have had the same
> experience.

Give this a try:

https://github.com/bdarcus/bibtex-actions#org-cite

I hope to see similar "insert processors" for ivy-bibtex and helm-bibtex.

Bottomline, it's trivial to replace that "basic" processor with much
better options.

See discussion on:

https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/issues/885

> I understand that oc-biblatex.el loads biblatex in the background,
> produces the citations and the bibliography, and inserts them in the
> exported output. In that case, what are the possibilities of using
> biblatex commands to configure the output?

To be precise, you mean what are the options to configure the
oc-biblatex export processor to use different or additional commands?

ATM, I don't believe there are any, and the alternative is to write
your own export processor, say basing it off the oc-biblatex one.

What, specifically, do you need, that is not currently supported?

The current processors are pretty comprehensive; see the note from Andras.

When designing this sort of thing, you basically have a choice.

You can just have styles that map directly to the output targets.

This has an obvious advantage if you only ever use one target.

But it has a major disadvantage if you want to use others.

So the approach we took here is to design a common set of styles and
substyles, and then map to output formats from there.

The result is the citations are more-or-less export format agnostic.

> I realise that these will
> not work since most of it would be LaTeX specific. Does that mean the
> users will have to work with CSL styles to format the output even if
> they are using oc-biblatex.el? I am still somewhat confused about how
> this is going to work.

CSL styles are analogous to BST files in bibtex; you use those with oc-csl.

When using that, citeproc-el handles the output processing, including for latex.

Basically, if you want consistent output formatting across latex and
other targets like HTML or OpenDocument, you want to use oc-csl.

Give it a try.

Note, though, that citeproc-el does not currently support cite/t or
some others, but that should be coming "soon".

HTH; let me know if anything is unclear.

Bruce