Re: what would cause failure in template for org capture?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: what would cause failure in template for org capture?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 11:21:08 -0400

> Hello all,
>
> I am getting this error message:
>
> org-capture: Capture abort: Unknown template placeholder: "%^G"
>
> when attempting to capture a task using this template:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (add-to-list 'org-capture-templates
>                '("t"
>                  "todo"
>                  entry (file+headline "~/s/notes/todo.org" "refile")
>                  "* %^{Task}   %^G\n%i%?\n%U\n"))
> #+end_src
>
> The error happens after having entered the information for the Task in
> the template so next would be the tags.
>
> This was working until recently.  Both Emacs and org are up to date
> relative to their git repositories.  The only change done recently in my
> configuration is a move from ivy to selectrum for completion.

FWIW, it's working for me. There was a change on July 8 having to do
with tags completion (using completing-read-multiple), but I'm running
with that change and I don't see a problem. OTOH, I'm not using
selectrum (or ivy for that matter), so the change may be interacting
badly with it.

I would probably edebug `org-capture-fille-template` and check that the
code around l.1733 in `org-capture.el' behaves as expected.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler