Re: Headings and Headlines

From: Charles Millar
Subject: Re: Headings and Headlines
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:56:18 -0400

On 7/23/21 10:06 PM, Tim Cross wrote:

André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

The project's documentation refers to headings and headlines as
synonyms.  Relying on a single definition would be beneficial.  If I had
to choose between the two, I'd go with heading.

If the community finds this valuable, I could prepare a patch.

I think heading is better than headline - to me headline is a line at
the top of the buffer (like a newpaper headline). Note that in addition
to changes in the manual, it will probably be necessary to make changes
to variable and function names in the code. This may require marking
some old names as obsolete and creating aliases to allow a transition to
the new names and avoid breakage etc.

Since org requires outline.el, org.el line 4793, why not follow and mirror outline.el conventions?

It appears that outline.el uses
`
        "header" for some early set-up(?) functions and

        "heading" for what appears to provide the outline itself.

Furthermore, "headline" shows up only in comments, and only four or five times, at that.

After all, org is an, "Outline-based notes management and organize."

Best,

Charlie Millar