Re: archiving speed [was Re: Tips on maintaining history in Org Mode]

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: archiving speed [was Re: Tips on maintaining history in Org Mode]
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 14:43:51 +0800

> i should clarify.  bulk archiving slows down even with /nonexistent/
> (have not tried empty) archives.  as part of normal and expected
> operation, bulk creates the archive for the first entry, and then
> subsequent entries are added.  those get slower and slower.

That's what I suspected. I also see this and my suggestion helped
archiving speed in my case.

> i use (olpath category itags).  i will try (file time) when i can, if
> that still applies.  my brain needs to be more operational.

When you use category, every time you modify the original file (not the
archive!), Org mode re-calculates *all* the categories in the original
Org file. It happens for every single archived heading. If your original
Org file is large, re-calculations make things extremely slow.

Best,
Ihor