Re: ob-lilypond.el doesn't generate midi files

From: Michael Maurer
Subject: Re: ob-lilypond.el doesn't generate midi files
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 13:16:44 +0200

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 at 18:18, Michael Maurer <maurer.michael@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 at 15:09, Jonathan Gregory <jgrg@autistici.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Michael
> >
> > On 28 Aug 2021, Michael Maurer wrote:
> >
> > > So out of curiosity I changed the entry for midi-player to
> > > random gibberish, and the same message pops up, "no midi file
> > > generated so can't play". Toggling arrange-mode has no effect. I
> > > can play the generated midi-file from the command line using vlc
> > > just fine.
> >
> > What variable are you using to change the midi command? It should
> > be org-babel-lilypond-commands. You may also have to restart emacs
> > after you've made the changes. BTW I'm using timidity and it works
> > fine.
> >

> I use M-x customize, search for lilypond and then get the config panel
> for org-babel-lilypond-commands.
> Btw I've set up timidity, checked if it works correctly and then
> change the value from vlc to timidity, but same result.
>
> Aaah wait, I'm currently looking at ob-lilypond.el, and it's looking
> for a file that ends with *.midi, but lilypond on Windows generates
> *.mid files.
> Ok I'll see if that's it after dinner.

Yep, that's it. Modified ob-lilypond.el and recompiled it. Timidity
works as helper, couldn't get vlc to work. Maybe the file ending
should be modifiable via org-babel-lilypond-commands as well, or make
ob-lilypond.el look for *.mid or *.midi. I'm pretty confident *.mid is
the default setting for lilypond on win, and not my doing.