Re: Org babel source blocks ignore buffer-local variables

From: Berry, Charles
Subject: Re: Org babel source blocks ignore buffer-local variables
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 18:32:47 +0000

> On Sep 6, 2021, at 1:53 AM, Dominik Schrempf <dominik.schrempf@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Thank you, this solution works. May I ask about the reasons of such a
> distinction?

[i.e. between exec-path and (getenv "PATH")]

Well, this is how `shell' and `shell-command-on-region' both do it, and they
seem to be the underlying engines.  So you might ask elsewhere why it is so.

There are probably a lot of circumstances in which the distinction makes sense
in babel shell blocks.

You would not want to use exec-path if your src block was being executed
remotely, for example.

I think different shells can sensibly use different PATH defaults, so that
might be another circumstance in which the default to exec-path could trip you
up.

HTH,
Chuck