Manually/programmatically adding a state transition message

From: Trevoke
Subject: Manually/programmatically adding a state transition message
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 14:28:39 -0400

I am writing some code to change the state of an org headline. I have figured out that an error will pop up if I am automatically transitioning to a state that requires a note logged. How can I automatically add a state transition note?

I know I can write this:

    (universal-argument)
    (universal-argument)
    (universal-argument)
    (org-todo "WAIT")

and this will automatically skip note logging.

I've looked at the code around adding a log-note and it looks like it might be automatable but there's a lot of pieces I don't know in there, so if there's a way to add just a state transition with a programmatically provided note, I'll take that, please :)

Thanks,

--Aldric