Re: [feature proposal] Headline caching via org-element-cache = up to 2.

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: [feature proposal] Headline caching via org-element-cache = up to 2.5x performance boost
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:58:30 +0800

Hi  Ihor,

I’ve just read through your description, and this sounds very promising! Many
thanks for going to the effort of tracking down this performance issue and
/actually making a patch to address it/.

As someone who tangles massive literate config this sounds like it could make
quite a noticeable improvement. To test this, do I need to do anything more than
just apply your patch?

> I would like to propose adding support of storing headlines in
> org-element-cache.
>
> Currently, org-element-cache only stores elements within individual
> sections. Storing headlines in cache would open various possibilities to
> improve Org performance: tag inheritance, property inheritance, category
> queries, id lookup, refile targets, agenda views, etc could all make use
> of cache.
>
> I am not proposing a mere idea, but have an actual working (WIP) code
> in: <https://github.com/yantar92/org>. Also, I am attaching a reference
> patch for org-element.el (the actual branch contains more changes).

All the best,
Timothy

p.s. I’m marking this as a patch on the tracker, since it is one :P